- Code Enforcement
Code Enforcement is a division of the Planning and Building Department. The Code Enforcement Department is responsible for Town Code and Zoning Ordinance standards.
Code Enforcement is one of the top priorities for the Town. Code violations can have a negative impact on surrounding property values, public safety, and the overall appearance of the Town. Through voluntary compliance, cooperation, a spirit of personal responsibility, and community pride, conditions that create code violations can be eliminated. These acts will make the Town of Avon a better place to live.
Code Enforcement Process:
- Once a complaint is noted or received, a member of Town Staff will investigate the complaint within 2 business days.
- If a violation is present, a Staff member will contact the listed property owner or occupant with a courtesy letter or a "Notice to Correct" letter. These letters will be sent through the mail. A sample letter may be found above. If the Town has additional contact information such as a phone number or email, a Staff member may contact the responsible party through one of these methods.
- The Town will inform the responsible party of a timeline to correct the violation (usually 10 days) without any further penalty.
- While most property owners comply after the first notification, those who do not will receive additional notices or citations, including fines and legal action. The Town encourages any responsible party with questions to contact the Code Enforcement Department. The Town's goal is compliance and the Town will work with all members of the community to resolve any violation.
- Ongoing, recurring, or safety violations may result in immediate action through stop-work orders, ticketing, or other means.
- You may report a violation anonymously; however, if you would like a Staff member to contact you regarding resolution or action of a violation, you must leave an email address or phone number.
All complaints and violations are handled in a professional and confidential manner. To report a suspected violation, you can use the Town's Action Center to report a violation. All complaints will be investigated within 2 business days.