Board and Commission Application
Please complete the form below to apply. Someone from the Town of Avon Indiana will reach out to you to continue conversations once your application has been reviewed. Additional details on boards, meetings times, and requirements are available below the application on this page. If you have questions, please feel free to email Ryan Cannon.
Board and Commission positions are appointed in January of each year. You are welcome to apply at any time throughout the year, just note that you may not hear from Town of Avon staff until late fall time.
- Board of Zoning Appeals (1 seat available)
- Economic Development Commission (1 seat available)
- Fire Appeals Board (1 seat available)
- Parks Advisory Council (4 seats available)
- Plan Commission (3 seat available)
- Police Merit Board Commission (1 seat available)
- Redevelopment Commission (5 seats available)
- Stormwater Board of Directors (1 seat available) @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
Boards and Commissions Additional Details
Advisory Plan Commission
Meets on the 4th Monday of each month at 7:00 P.M. This is a seven-member board that oversees policies regarding the growth and development of Avon. The term for each member appointed is for four years.
- 4 Town Council President Appointments: No more than 2 can be from the same political party.
- 3 Town Council Appointments: Appointed as elected or appointed town official or town employee.
Board of Zoning Appeals
Meets on the 3rd Thursday of each month at 7:00 P.M. This is a five-member board that is charged with the power to grant variances or special exceptions from the Town's Development Standards as defined in the Town’s Zoning Ordinance. The term for each member appointed is for four years.
- 1 Appointed as representative from Plan Commission
- Town Council President Appoints - 1 from Plan Commission; 2 not from Plan Commission
- 1 Town Council Appoints - Not from Plan Commission
Economic Development Commission
Meets as needed. They promote economic development and supports partner organizations within the Town and County. The term for each member appointed is for three years.
- Town Code section 2-161 - All appointments must reside w/in Hendricks County; town residency not required
Parks, Recreation, and Beautification Council
Meets five times each year on the 1st Wednesday of the month at 7:00 P.M. They advise the Town Council on parks, recreation activities, and policies. The term for each member appointed is for two years.
- Town Code section 2-92 All Town Council appointments - At least 4 members must be in town
Police Merit Commission
The Avon Police Department Merit Commission is comprised of five members selected from the Town of Avon. Candidates for commissioner must reside within the incorporated town limits, and be of good moral character. The commission is appointed by the Avon Town Council President (2 members), the council as a whole (1 member), and from active members of the police department (2 members). The term for each member appointed is for four years. The commission operates in accordance with the authority established by Indiana Code. The primary responsibilities of the commission are establishing and overseeing the hiring process, certifying hiring lists and approving conditional offers of employment. Commissioners are also responsible for establishing rules and regulations related to certain disciplinary matters, and presiding over serious disciplinary matters that are presented to them. The Commission reviews recommendations for promotions to higher rank made by the Chief of Police and votes to promote officers as needed. The commission typically meets monthly, unless circumstances require additional meetings to address highly important issues.
- Town Code section 2-57-3
- All must be residents of Avon for 3 years
- No active member of Avon Police Department, Avon Fire Department
- Only 2 members of Board can be past members of police or fire agency
- Police Appointment - Must be of different party; recall petition can end term
- President Appointment - May be removed at any time; must be of different party
Meets on the 3rd Monday of each month at 6:00 P.M. This is a six-member board that is responsible for the planning and financing of economic development and redevelopment areas within the Town of Avon. The term for each member appointed is for two years.
- All appointments must not have a pecuniary interest in any contract, purchase, or sale by the RDC
- 3 Council President Appointments - must be 18 years old and Avon resident
- 2 Town Council Appointments - must be 18 years old and Avon resident
Stormwater Board of Directors
Meets on the 1st Wednesday of each month at 5:30 P.M. This is a three-member board appointed by the Avon Town Council President. The board provides oversight of stormwater management and administration, including determining priorities of projects and approving projects and approving contracts for the department. The term for each member appointed is for four years.
- Town Code section 9-33