I'm moving. How do I stop service?

Best of luck on your move! 

You don't have to do anything to stop or change service with us. We collaborate with Hendricks County to obtain an updated list of property owners each quarter. You are responsible for the bill if you were the property owner on record with the Hendricks County Assessor's Office on the first day of the billing quarter, but after that, you shouldn't get any more bills. 

If you're still getting bills, or have additional questions, please give us a call at the Avon Public Works Department 317-272-0948. Be sure to tell the operator you have a Stormwater Utility question.

Show All Answers

1. What is the Avon Stormwater Utility?
2. I'm moving. How do I stop service?
3. I need to change my mailing address for my Stormwater Utility Bill, how do I do that?
4. I moved, but I still got a bill.
5. I already paid this/there's an error on my bill.
6. When are you going to fix my drainage issues?
7. When is the next public meeting?
8. How were the rates established?
9. My question isn't listed here.